Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Priorities

Without priorities my life would be an absolute chaotic mess. At times I must admit that my life has been this chaotic mess that I speak of.

I have found that it is not an easy task for me to tell someone no. As I have gotten older I am getting better at handling my priorities, but this problem definitely caused many issues in high school. I am the type of person that gives 110% in whatever I am doing – because of this I found myself in WAY over my head many times. Before coming to OU my priorities were in a wide variety of things – church, school work, StuCo, working at Gymnastics City, softball, track, managing the basketball team, and cheerleading. On top of these things, I tried my best to be a loving daughter, caring friend, supportive sister and aunt and a loyal girlfriend. I was a very “busy bee” throughout this time. I would go over and beyond for every organization, team, job, person, etc. Looking back I am SO surprised that I managed to do all of that and not go crazy!

Now that I find myself at OU, I see that my priorities are extremely different. I am not nearly involved (YET!!!) this year as I was in high school. First semester my main focuses were school work and cheerleading. Towards the end of first semester I became involved with Sub30, which now takes over a significant amount of my time! This semester I have shifted my priorities some – I’m making more of an effort to get out and expand my circle of friends. I am trying to get more involved with different groups on campus, and still active in building up Sub30. I’m finding that it is a lot easier to get school work done, and I can be even more supportive for my friends and family.

I will be the first to admit that I still have some glitches in my priorities. Like, for example, I won’t be getting a grade for this blog because I was late in getting it done. I had an extremely close family friend pass away, sending me to my second funeral in a week and a half.

Sometimes we forget when we are prioritizing that we should always be aware that the unexpected can catch us off guard and throw our schedules off.

No comments:

Post a Comment