Monday, February 8, 2010

Influences.

When I first saw that this blog was about influences, I thought it would be truly a breeze. Then, as I sat down in front of my laptop, I realized this one would be harder for me than I ever imagined.

I could start with how watching the Olympics when I was young made me want to be a gymnast, and was the initial start to my gymnastics career. Or how I wanted to play softball because the ball diamond was all I knew my whole life, and I wanted to be just like my daddy and my big brother.

I could talk about my day to day influences, like how I go to eat at the Caf because that’s what sounded good to my best friend. And when I wear my rain boots because it’s raining out.

I also have influences that have changed my life. My life has been influenced spiritually by Pastor Rick, Miss Pam, Donna Clyma, and the other great spiritual warriors in my church. My life has been impacted, and I have been inspired by the many people close to me that have fought the battle of cancer. My life was influenced recently when Janelle Fitch, who was a motherly figure in my life, passed away from her battle with cancer.

Then, there are the certain situations that have influenced me. Like, when my friend Jenson passed away, and I chose to live my life to the absolute fullest. Or when my best friend told me that she was pregnant, and I decided to step up and be there for her throughout the entire thing.

Since graduating high school I have been influenced in many ways. My advisor has influenced the classes I took first semester, and am currently taking. Upper classmen have influenced me in which professors were good to have as teachers. I was influenced by being verbally harassed in the middle of the night to get a room change. I was influenced by Caitlin to attend my first service at Sub30, which has radically changed my life.

The truth is my list of influences could continue on and on. I am influenced by the stranger who smiles at me while I am walking down the street. I am influenced by a style that I see in a magazine.

I am influenced by life.

1 comment:

  1. you are such a talented writer!
    isn't it so true...when we are opened to the influences around us...we learn SO much. kate

    ReplyDelete